The daily commuter as well as the bike enthusiast has been hit equally badly because of the skyrocketing cost of fuel. There is no doubt about the expenses a bike rider has to bear. However, don’t let this curb your passion to ride. Follow these cost efficient ways to use your bike to make sure you get the most out of every precious drop of petrol.
Taking Good Care
- Keep your bike well tuned: The engine will consume least amount of fuel if the carburetor is set in a way where the choke is used at cold starts. On the other hand, if the bike or scooter is fuel-injected, the system will automatically adjust the optimum air-fuel mixture.
- Tyre pressure: Check the surface of the tyre regularly. Also keep a check on the optimum tyre pressure, as prescribed by the bike maker. A slightly higher pressure will not affect the performance of your two-wheeler, but lower air pressure will reduce its fuel efficiency.
- Let your bike breathe fresh air: One can improve the fuel efficiency by keeping the air-filter clean, allowing maximum air flow. When the air-filter is clogged, the engine tends to run a rich mixture, thereby increasing fuel consumption. Let your bike breathe some fresh air.
- Check the electrodes: Pull out and check their colour of the spark-plugs occasionally. (The electrodes should be white and the rim should be brown in colour.) If the electrodes appear brown and the rim black, the engine is running a rich mixture. Check the air-filter and the carburetor setting to improve combustion.
- Timely oiling: When the engine signals for oil, there is friction between the moving parts, which reduces a bike’s operating efficiency. Check the engine oil level regularly and replace the oil at regular intervals (as mentioned in your bike manual), irrespective of the grade of oil used.
- Smooth riding: Judge the distance from an obstacle and gradually reduce the speed of your bike instead of braking hard. This will save fuel and also avoid unnecessary wear of the brakes.
- Start-Stop: when halting at a red signal, turn the engine off even if the countdown reads 10. It will not only save fuel, but also avoid air pollution.
- Move to the top: Avoid lugging the engine. Do not over speed the engine in lower gears. Shift up the gears quickly, however avoid man-handling your engine
- Park your bike in some shade: Motorcycle tank shells are heat-sensitive as they are made of steel. Make sure the vehicle is parked in a shade to avoid losing fuel due to evaporation.
- Fuel efficiency: It is a no rocket science that the quality of fuel affects the operating efficiency of an engine. Buy fuel only from a reputed and reliable petrol pump to ensure optimum efficiency and working of your bike. Also make sure the petrol pump attendants do not cheat the buyer by filling less fuel. Be vigilant and fight for every drop of fuel you pay for.
- Choose the best route, not the shortest route: The shortest route may not always be the best road to reach a destination, especially in India. Avoid roads known for bottlenecks. Adjust the time of your commute to avoid the office-goers’ rush hour. Consider the roads with potholes, narrow width, ongoing construction work, puddles or broken down lights before choosing that road for your bike. Choose your route keeping in mind these factors, to complete your commute or journey smoothly in the least possible time.
Hope you all enjoyed reading this!
Schedule a servicing session with EMSeva to get the best servicing package for your two-wheeler.